Instruction By Design: Perceptions of Quality in Online Distance Education
In this episode, the instructional designers from Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation (Aaron Kraft, Celia Coochwytewa, and Jinnette Senecal) are joined by special guest Jessica Cole from ASU Online to explore several dimensions of quality in online distance education. We then consider aspects of quality from a variety of stakeholder perspectives. Today’s HOT TOPIC is a conversation prompted by fan request, on approaches for productively organizing content into curriculum.
Resources from the episode:
- Harvey, L., & Green, D. (1993). Defining quality. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 18(1), 9-34.
- Online Learning Consortium. (n.d.). Quality Framework narrative, the 5 pillars.
- Sadaf, A., Martin, F., & Ahlgrim-Delzell, L. (2019). Student perceptions of the impact of Quality Matters-certified online courses on their learning and engagement. Online Learning Journal.
- Sangra, A., Porto, S., & Jung, I. (2014). Diversity in expectations of quality and assessment. In Jung, I. & Gunawardena, C., (Eds.), Culture and online learning: Global perspectives and research (pp. 91-101). Stylus Publishing, LLC.
- Liesenfeld, M. [@micahnova] (2020, October 29). @IBD_Podcast Episode theme wish: How to organize content provided by SMEs to create a curriculum. Sometimes you get trickles, but [Tweet]. Twitter.
Jessica Cole is an instructional designer for ASU Online at EdPlus of Arizona State University, where she collaborates with faculty on the design of online courses and co-facilitates the Master Class for Teaching Online. Jessica is a creative designer and information specialist with over ten years of experience in higher education. Her interests include online engagement, information literacy, and audio production.
Instruction By Design is produced by Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation. To learn more about the podcast or subscribe, please visit our website. You can contact us at InstructionByDesign@asu.edu or @IBD_Podcast.