Instruction By Design: Cultivating Resilience: More Than Just a Mindset
In this episode, the instructional designers from Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation (Jinnette Senecal, Aaron Kraft, and Celia Coochwytewa) reflect on resilience in the academic environment and how to nurture it within our learners, while still maintaining instructional rigor. We then explore the role of instructional designers in this important work, as well as strategies for supporting our own personal resilience. Today’s HOT TOPIC segment is focused on assessment design, and how to actively engage students in goal-setting and self-evaluation.
Resources from the episode:
- American Psychological Association. (2012). Building your resilience. American Psychological Association.
- Arizona State University CareerWISE. (n.d.). Problem solving method 4-step process: Resilience.
- Garrison, J. (2020, September 1). ASU finds innovative solution to parts shortage during ASU Sync installation. ASU Now.
- King, D. (2020, May 29). What is resilience? Tedx Talks [Video]. YouTube.
- Lipson, A., & Glickman, A. (2020, July 2). What are we learning about academic resilience? Association of American Colleges & Universities Liberal Education BLOG.
- Low, R., King, S., & Foster-Boucher, C. (2019). Learning to bounce back: A scoping review about resiliency education. The Journal of Nursing Education, 58(6), 321-329.
- Metro, M. (2020, September 9). Humane assessment shouldn’t happen only during a pandemic. Inside Higher Ed.
Instruction By Design is produced by Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation. To learn more about the podcast or subscribe, please visit our website. You can contact us at InstructionByDesign@asu.edu or @IBD_Podcast.