Instruction By Design: Project Management for Practical People
In this episode, the instructional designers from Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation (Jinnette Senecal, Aaron Kraft, and Celia Coochwytewa) are joined by special guest Juli McGinnis from Edson College Academic Operations to explore the foundations and functions of project management. We then discuss practical ways to get started with project management methods, tools, and techniques. Today’s HOT TOPIC segment is focused on the importance of and implications for how faculty develop pedagogical expertise.
Resources from the episode:
- Cox, D. (2010). Project management skills for instructional designers. Bloomington, IN: iUniverse.
- Duffy, J. (2019, December 18). The best project management software for 2020.
- Gardner, J., Bennett, P. A., Hyatt, N., & Stoker, K. (2017). Applying project management strategies in a large curriculum conversion project in higher education. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 20(3).
- Mind Tools. (n.d.). Project initiation document checklist.
- Muslihat, D. (2018, March 9). 7 Popular project management methodologies and what they’re best suited for.
- Project Management Institute. (n.d.). What is project management?
- Flaherty, C. (2019, December 13). Required pedagogy.
- Related resources:
- Jaschik, S. (2010, July 13). Teaching vs. research.
- Jenkins, A. (n.d.). Break away from teaching versus research. Stanford University Tomorrow’s Professor Postings.
- Faller, M. B. (2016, February 9). Phelps looks to life outside the pool at ASU. ASU Now.
Juli McGinnis began her career at ASU with the Fulton School of Engineering as a Senior Program Coordinator and then Business Development Manager of the Online Graduate Degree programs as well as the Non-degree programs.
She worked for the Center for Professional Development (CPD) at the Fulton School which is now called Global Outreach and Extended Education (GOEE) and provides professional development opportunities and advanced education for local, international academic institutions, governments and corporations. Juli managed many of the programs for working professionals which provided high-impact curriculum including non-credit short courses, custom programs or online graduate degrees and certificates.
Juli has worked closely with national and international corporations, students and organizations from Malaysia, South Korea, Costa Rica, Mexico, the Philippines, Ireland, Colombia, Vietnam and China to customize and execute executive education programs on behalf of the customer with the ASU faculty and staff. She has been managing events, program and projects of this nature for the past 15 years.
Instruction By Design is produced by Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation. To learn more about the podcast or subscribe, please visit our website. You can contact us at InstructionByDesign@asu.edu or @IBD_Podcast.