Season 06 | Episode 03
In this episode, the Manager of Collaborative Learning from ASU’s Learning Experience team (Celia Coochwytewa) and the instructional designers from ASU’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation (Jinnette Senecal, Aaron Kraft) explore key concepts and practical applications of data literacy for educators and designers, as highlighted in the 2022 EDUCAUSE Horizon Report, Data and Analytics Edition. We then consider professional learning pathways for developing data literacy fluency and implementation skills. Today’s HOT TOPIC is focused on a popular approach to enhancing professional/scholarly learning experiences: gamification.
Resources from the episode:
- Brown, A., Croft, B., Dello Stritto, M. E., Heiser, R., McCarty, S., McNally, D., Nyland, R., Quick, J., Thomas, R., & Wilks, M. (2022, February 9). Learning analytics from a systems perspective: Implications for practice. EDUCAUSE Review.
- Kraft, A., Coochwytewa, C., & Senecal, J. (Hosts). Van Leusen, P. (Guest participant). (2019, August 26). Adaptive learning in higher ed: Failure is not an option. (Summer 2019 Bonus Episode 03) [Audio podcast episode]. In Instruction By Design. Arizona State University, Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation.
- Panetta, K. (2021, August 26). A data and analytics leader’s guide to data literacy. Gartner.
- Raffaghelli, & Stewart, B. (2020). Centering complexity in “educators” data literacy’ to support future practices in faculty development: a systematic review of the literature. Teaching in Higher Education, 25(4), 435–455.
- Ridsdale, C., Rothwell, J., Smit, M., Bliemel, M., Irvine, D., Kelley, D., Matwin, S., Wuetherick, B., & Ali-Hassan, H. (2015). Strategies and best practices for data literacy education knowledge synthesis report [Technical report].
- Tippens Reinitz, B., McCormack, M., Reeves, J., Robert, J., Arbino, N., Anderson, J., Hamman, J., Johnson, C., Kew-Fickus, O., Snyder, R., & Stevens, M. (2022). 2022 EDUCAUSE Horizon Report, Data and Analytics Edition. EDUCAUSE.
- Shellgren, M., & Becker, S. (2022, October 12). Gamifying professional learning. The OLC Blog.
Instruction By Design is produced by Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation. To learn more about the podcast or subscribe, please visit our website. You can contact us at InstructionByDesign@asu.edu or @IBD_Podcast.