In this episode, the instructional designers from Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation (Jinnette Senecal, Aaron Kraft, and Celia Coochwytewa) investigate the reasons why instructors and learners sometimes struggle with assignment deadline policies. We then discuss key considerations for developing and implementing an effective policy. Today’s HOT TOPIC segment is focused on active learning, and the way students perceive their own learning outcomes.
Resources from the episode:
- Boucher, E. (2016, August 22). It’s time to ditch our deadlines. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Crawford, S.R., Coochwytewa, C., Senecal, J., & Kraft, A. (2017, August 14). Designing your course syllabus. [Podcast]. Instruction By Design.
- Hirsch, D., & Goldberger, E. (2010). Hovering practices in and outside the classroom. About Campus, 14(6), 30-32.
- Mastrianni, T. M. (2015). When the due date is not the “Do” date!. Learning Communities Research and Practice, 3(2), Article 4.
- Mitchell, T. (2019, March 11). Changing demographics and digital transformation. Educause Review.
- Patton, M. A. (2000). The importance of being flexible with assignment deadlines. Higher Education in Europe, 25(3), 417-23.
- Schisler, L. (2019, September 23). A headache-free late work policy. Faculty Focus.
- Singham, M. (2005). Moving away from the AUTHORITARIAN CLASSROOM. Change, 37(3), 50-57.
- Smith, A. (2019, April 30). Discrepancies in estimates on food insecurity. Inside Higher Ed.
- Thomas, B. (2019, August 5). Rethinking deadline and late penalty policies…again. Faculty Focus.
- Flaherty, C. (2019, September 9). The dangers of fluent lectures. Inside Higher Ed.
- Related resources:
- Coochwytewa, C., Crawford, S.R., & Senecal, J. (2017, February 17). Increasing classroom engagement (active learning). [Podcast]. Instruction By Design.
Instruction By Design is produced by Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation. To learn more about the podcast or subscribe, please visit our website. You can contact us at InstructionByDesign@asu.edu or @IBD_Podcast.