For any course, communication is key! This overview will provide recommendations on how to ensure your communication with your online students is effective, positive, and builds community within your online course.
In this video (6:35) we’ll cover a range of communication strategies you might employ in your online course.
- What Makes a Remarkable Online Course? Part 2: Course Teaching and Facilitation Recommendation from ASU Faculty
- Building Community Online
- Best Practices for Large Enrollment Online Courses, Part III: Managing Instructor-student communication and presence
- Managing and Facilitating Discussions
- Create a short introduction video or announcement post so that your students learn a bit more about you as their instructor. Here is a resource to support you in creating an instructor introduction video, Approaches to Instructor Introductions.
- Start an introduction discussion in your course where students can introduce themselves to one another.
- Plan your communication strategy so that you have a clear plan about when you are reaching out to students and in which format.
Join the Conversation:
- Join this community of faculty, learning designers and others that are discussing the topic of communication. Pose questions, engage in dialogue, contribute resources or share your experiences with colleagues. These are our community guidelines.