In this episode, the instructional designers from Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation (Aaron Kraft, Celia Coochwytewa, and Jinnette Senecal) are joined by special guest Peter van Leusen from EdPlus at ASU to explore the features, functions, and flexibility of adaptive learning systems. We discuss the potential for improved learning outcomes, necessary considerations for successful integration, and the reality of using adaptive learning systems from the perspectives of instructors and learners.
Resources from the episode:
- Posner, Z. (2017, January 11). What is adaptive learning anyway?
- Smartsparrow.com (n.d.). What is adaptive learning?
- Edsurge. (2016). Decoding adaptive: Overview.
- Edsurge. (2016). Decoding adaptive: Definition.
- Johnson, D. (2017, June 15). Opening the black box of adaptivity.
- Garn, M. (2019, March 13). Unfair at any speed.
- UNESCO Institute for Information Technologies in Education. (2012, March). Personalized learning: A new ICT-enabled education approach.
Peter van Leusen is a Manager of Instructional Design for EdPlus, Strategic Design & Development at Arizona State University. His recent instructional design projects include collaborating on adaptive curriculum and courseware development, designing MOOCs in a foreign language, and spearheading innovative digital educational experiences for broad audiences.
Before joining ASU, Peter worked as the Assistant Director in the Office of Instructional Consulting in the School of Education at Indiana University and previously taught middle and high school German. Peter holds a PhD in Instructional Systems Technology from Indiana University, Bloomington. His research interests include Faculty Development, Instructional Technology, Instructional Design, and Innovative Teaching & Learning in face-to-face, hybrid, and online formats.
When he’s not designing creative and innovative solutions, you can find him playing soccer or running.
Instruction By Design is produced by Arizona State University’s Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation. To learn more about the podcast or subscribe, please visit our website. You can contact us at InstructionByDesign@asu.edu or @IBD_Podcast.